(Senior) Environmental and Social SpecialistEmpleoBeLux
Web European Investment Bank
The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Projects Directorate (PJ), Mobility Department (MOBILITY), Strategic Roads Division (ROADS) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) Environmental and Social Specialist*.
This is a full position at grade 5/6 for which the EIB offers a permanent contract.
- internal benchmark (Senior) Officer
Panel interviews are anticipated for May 2023.
The Projects Directorate (PJ) appraises and monitors projects, assessing their economic, environmental, social and technical sustainability and their compliance with EU and EIB sector policies and EIB ECS Policies and Procedures. It also provides advice to clients on the preparation and implementation of projects, either directly or through external consultants.
Within multi-disciplinary teams, following a risk-based approach, the E&S Specialist carries out (mainly outside the EU) the social and environmental due diligence of projects. The E&S Specialist is expected to work as a team member appraising primarily high-risk projects to ensure that these have been structured to meet the social and environmental processes and standards/requirements consistent with EIB’s Environmental and Social Sustainability Framework. Upon approval of the project by the EIB’s Governing Bodies, the Specialist will also have an active role in the monitoring of the implementation of the relevant social and environmental standards in the project until its completion. This includes providing support in addressing potential complaints.
The E&S Specialist will also provide ad-hoc advice to colleagues on how to manage social and environmental impacts and associated risks in line with the requirements of the EIB standards, identify E&S opportunities in projects, participate in the Bank’s relevant working groups about E&S matters and provide input into EIB E&S-related policy work.
As (Senior) E&S Specialist, you will be part of the Strategic Roads Division (ROADS) in the MOBILITY Department. You will report to the respective Head of Division and operate across all Divisions of the MOBILITY Department, as required. As such, you will work closely with the professional staff of the MOBILITY Department including the departmental social and environmental advisors. You will be coordinating with other Departments’ Environmental and Social Specialists, the team in the Environment, Climate & Social Office (ECSO) and other EIB officers, notably those participating in MOBILITY lending operations. You will also assist in managing external E&S consultants.
You will need to work with a high degree of autonomy, maintaining contacts with other international financial institutions, public authorities and EU institutions, as appropriate and representing the EIB at high-level project-related meetings with promoters and EU counterparts. Participation in horizontal tasks within the Mobility Department or PJ may also be envisaged.
Business travel will be required notably to non-EU countries, in particular the Eastern Neighbourhood, South and East Mediterranean countries and Sub-Saharan Africa. Capacity to engage with local communities, civil society and public officials will be essential.
- Provide specialist advice on E&S risk assessment and due diligence issues pertaining to individual projects, including whether the project has been structured to meet the EIB E&S requirements including the review of the quality of the assessments and studies required by the relevant EIB E&S Standards (e.g. ESIA and associated E&S studies and plans, etc.)
- Contribute to the preparation of appraisal reports of E&S high-risk projects, including potential participation in appraisal missions, in order to determine if they can be supported by the EIB;
- Undertake monitoring activities – including physical monitoring of on-going projects – in order to verify the implementation of the contractually agreed E&S requirements and EIB E&S Standards as well as the achievement of the E&S development outcomes set out by the project;
- Provide input to the project teams of the Mobility Department in addressing E&S complaints and information disclosure requests as per the provisions of the Aarhus Regulation and the EIB Transparency Policy;
- Contribute to managing the provision of consultancy services to support project-based E&S due diligence, specific E&S studies and/or under technical assistance frameworks;
- Support the development, when required, and implementation of the Bank’s E&S standards and procedures, and represent PJ/Mobility in the relevant E&S working groups;
- Contribute to the development of specific E&S topics within ECSO’s training programme, in collaboration with ECSO colleagues;
- Deliver training on EIB’s E&S standards and other E&S related themes within the MOB Department and potentially to promoters.
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. sociology, anthropology, social development practice, environmental and natural science/management/engineering, development studies, economics or another relevant discipline);
- At least 5 years of recent and relevant professional experience related to social and environmental due diligence and/or the application of social and environmental performance standard and/or safeguard policies (preference will be given to a candidates working at a senior level and managing complex tasks/projects);
- Sound knowledge of international good practice related to E&S due diligence frameworks, processes and tools and solid experience in their application in a project context – experience in emerging markets and/or developing countries would be an advantage;
- Experience with the main E&S standards/safeguards and E&S policies and practices of the major IFIs and relevant EU policies would be an asset;
- Familiarity with current approaches to and debates on sustainable development and more specialised expertise in areas such as resettlement and land tenure, stakeholder engagement, human rights, vulnerability and gender issues, would be an advantage;
- On the ground practical experience in assessing E&S impacts of infrastructure projects outside the EU – experience in emerging markets and/or developing countries would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to work in inter-disciplinary contexts;
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders, including governments, civil society, and local communities;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills with a practical approach to problem solving;
- Capacity to deal with stressful, sensitive environments and situations and experience operating in diverse and challenging international environments;
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French (*) with a good command of the other. Competence in other languages (such as Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese) would be an advantage.
Find out more about EIB core competencieshere
(*) Unless stated explicitly as a required qualification, a good command of French is not a pre-requisite for hire. As both English and French are however official working languages of the EIB, proficiency in both languages is a pre-requisite for your future career development. Any language clause in your contract must be fulfilled in order for you to be eligible for a promotion (either via the annual appraisal cycle or via an internal selection process). Proficiency is understood to mean the attainment oflevel 5 of the Inter Institutional language courses, corresponding to B1.2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). The Bank offers appropriate training support.
We are an equal opportunities employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. We encourage all suitably qualified and eligible candidates to apply regardless of their gender identity/expression, age, racial, ethnic and cultural background, religion and beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, disability or neurodiversity.
Applicants with specific needs are encouraged to request reasonable accommodations at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact the EIB Recruitment team Jobs@eib.org who will ensure that your request is handled.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorised disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 31st March 2023
Por favor, para apuntarte a este trabajo visita www.glassdoor.com.